If you are preoccupied with your French Bulldog health, you want to provide him with an excellent diet. You should also consider vegetables, meat, fruits, and dog food.
They are a great source of nutrients and are not high in calories and fat, making them a must in your Frenchie diet. If you are wondering what vegetables can french bulldogs eat, you are in the right place to find the answer.
Here is a quick list of what vegetables a French Bulldog can eat:
– Carrots are a low-calorie snack. You can serve them boiled or raw
– Broccoli vegetable dogs often find tasty. Serve in small amounts
– Celery is a crunchy snack with many vitamins
– Sweet potatoes he can only eat when boiled or baked
– Peas are safe as an occasional treat. Cook them before serving
– Spinach, he can only eat in very small doses but is an excellent vegetable high in vitamins
– Green beans are great, but only when cooked
– Brussels sprouts are safe to feed to your French Bulldog. They must be cooked before serving
– Cauliflower in moderate amounts and must be cooked first
– Cucumber is a tasty treat with little calories
– Zucchini is a good choice for your dog. Mix with other cooked vegetables
– The cabbage is safe. Some dogs love it, and some don’t.
Do read further because some vegetables have some caveats to it.
We researched and gathered a list of nutritional and delicious greens for your cute Frenchie. Let’s discover the vegetables suitable for your dog, but also find out which are forbidden because they can harm your French Bulldog.
What Vegetables Can A French Bulldog Eat?
First, you must know a few essentials about how you can feed your Frenchie vegetables, in which amount, to make sure that he has a balanced diet.
Each vegetable must be given to your dog with moderation. Even if your Frenchie adores a specific vegetable, you should give it moderately.
Also, it is important to know that not every vegetable that it’s on the list can be served raw.
We will indicate for each type how you can feed it to your dog to make sure that everything will be ok, and you will not affect his health.
As a general rule, you should know that providing raw vegetables to your Frenchie can cause his tummy to get upset. And this can lead him to bloat and experience gasses.
If you have a choice, consider steaming the vegetables before giving them to your French Bulldog.
Let’s see the list of vegetables that your Frenchie can eat safely, in moderate amounts:
- Carrots – provide a great low-calorie snack, high in fiber and beta-carotene, responsible for producing vitamin A. You can serve it boiled or raw. If you decide to feed your Frenchie fresh carrots, it is also great for his teeth, having a crunchy texture.
- Broccoli – it is a tasty vegetable for your dog but only served in small amounts. You can feed him broccoli as occasional treats if he enjoys them. Broccoli is high in fiber and vitamin C and low in fat. You should be aware that they also contain isothiocyanates, which can lead to severe gastric irritation in some cases. So, it’s essential to keep an eye on your Frenchie after you feed him broccoli to make sure that he is tolerating it well. If not, you should check with the vet and remove broccoli from your Frenchie diet.
- Celery – is a crunchy snack for French Bulldogs. It contains many vitamins such as A, B, and C. These vitamins are great for maintaining excellent heart health and freshen his breath.
- Sweet potato – is safe for your dog, and he will adore it. However, resist the temptation and feed him moderately with sweet potatoes. It is essential to feed your Frenchie cooked sweet potatoes, not raw. You can boil them or bake. Sweet potatoes have a high level of fiber, and this helps support Frenchie’s healthy digestive system. They are low in fat and contain essential vitamins such as A, C, and B6. Due to their color, it is clear that sweet potatoes also contain beta-carotene, as carrots do. And also antioxidant that reduces the risk of several types of cancer and protects the heart.
- Peas – are ok and safe as an occasional treat for your French Bulldog. Peas are high in fiber and protein and contain several essential vitamins and minerals. You should also cook them before feeding your Frenchie. You can mix them with other vegetables and meat to make them more appealing. You can choose green peas, sugar snap peas, snow peas.
- Spinach – is recommended only in a small dosage. It is an excellent vegetable because it contains high amounts of vitamins A, B, C, and K, iron, and antioxidants, which stimulate the digestive tract. But, on the other hand, spinach contains high amounts of oxalic acid, which block the body’s ability to absorb calcium, which can lead in extreme situations to kidney failure. So, you must be precautious and feed your Frenchie spinach in small amounts on rare occasions.
- Green beans – are perfect for your French Bulldog. They offer him adequate omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins A, C, and K. Green beans also provide calcium, copper, iron, niacin, manganese potassium, and beta-carotene. Due to these numerous nutritious elements, it is an excellent vegetable for your French Bulldog. You should feed him cooked green beans, never raw.
- Brussels sprouts – your Frenchie can safely consume this vegetable. Even if you are not a fan, your Frenchie may consider otherwise. You should give it a try. Brussels sprouts will provide your dog with numerous vital nutrients, such as vitamins A, B1, B6, K and G, manganese, folate, fiber, potassium. It is an excellent source of nutrients, and it should be on the list of your Frenchie diet. It must be cooked before it is served.
- Cauliflower – is a treat that you should share with your Frenchie. Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamin C, K, B6, folate, and choline. It also contains antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation and help dogs that experience arthritis. It has a high level of fiber that supports digestive health. However, you must know that if your Frenchie consumes too much, he can experience an upset stomach. So, you must be precautious can feed him a moderate amount, of 1 floret, and is best to be cooked before is served.
- Cucumber – is a tasty treat for your Frenchie. It contains vitamin K, C, magnesium, and little amounts of fat and calories. It can help lower the blood pressure and freshen the breath. If your French Bulldog is a foodie, he will adore this treat, and you won’t have to worry about the additional weight. It is best to serve your French Bulldog with raw cucumber, make sure that it is properly washed before it is served.
- Zucchini – is another right choice for your dog. Zucchini contains vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium. It is excellent to mix it with other cooked vegetables, such as carrots. It will add taste to the food, and your Frenchie will enjoy it for sure.
- Cabbage – you can feed your Frenchie cabbage; some dogs simply love it. You should feed him cooked cabbage and add it in a mix with other vegetables for excellent flavor. However, you should give it in small portions because it can lead to gasses and make your French Bulldog feel unpleasant.
What Vegetables Should A French Bulldogs Not Eat?
As we mentioned previously, you should also be aware of the vegetables that you shouldn’t feed your French Bulldogs. Their digestive system is not like ours, and that is why they cannot digest all the vegetables well. Let’s find out the vegetables you must not feed your French Bulldog:
- Mushrooms – wild mushrooms can be toxic for dogs, and the ones you find in the supermarket may be ok, but it’s best not to put your Frenchie at risk. The symptoms that your Frenchie can experience if he digests toxic mushrooms can differ from medium to severe. You don’t want to jeopardize his health or even his life.
- Onions – are part of a family that is poisonous to most pets and can cause severe health problems. Such as red blood cells, rupture, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, and nausea. You should avoid feeding your French Bulldog onions of any kind.
- Asparagus – is no need to feed your Frenchie asparagus. He cannot eat him raw, and if you serve it cooked, it will lose all the nutrients. So there is no point in feeding asparagus to your dog.
- Potatoes – the potato plant can contain solanine, which can lead to a variety of unpleasant symptoms to your Frenchies, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and high temperature. It is safer to avoid feeding potatoes to your Frenchie to make sure that he will not experience health problems.
Now you found out what vegetables can French Bulldogs eat safely and which one not. It is good to keep this list saved and check it whenever you want to add a new vegetable in your French Bulldog’s diet.
If the vegetable is not on this list, you must check with the vet to make sure that it is safe for your Frenchie.
Dogs love vegetables and are an essential part of their diet, as long as you provide for them in moderate amounts.
Mix the right ingredients in different ways to keep the menu as varied as possible. Your Frenchie will enjoy them this way and be more willing to eat.
Play with different mixes and identify the ones that your French Bulldog love. Every time you feed him a new vegetable, keep an eye on his overall condition to make sure that he tolerates it well.